Tuesday 28 July 2009

Busy Day.....

Today was a busy day. Got up a 0500 and arranged the transfer of the money from England, as I have now set up the bank account. That has been sent and should take 2-4 days to land here. Made an application for a mortgage and should get and answer by the end of the week. However in Canada you have to show 3 months of wages first, so we may have to wait. Had my first driving lesson with a non syncromesh gearbox, and only the revs to change gears plus the fact it was 53 ft long was an experience. I was very pleased with my performance.

After that I did my theory test and passed with 98%. Should have committed it to memory in the first place and not relied on common sense and I would have passed first time. You live and learn. Got picked up by the realtor next and taken to nobleford to look at houses. Only 2 I liked though. I am going to send the pics to Sarah later. The one I liked best was up for rent as well. So I might look at a rent2buy if they won't lend the money to me. Fixed rate on mortgage 5 years at 4.5% and around 3.25% on a variable.

Mandy is picking me up tomorrow and we are going car hunting. (Mandy for those who don't know is my mates wife)

Everything is spinning along quite nicely and I am relatively pleased.

Classroom tuition is a good standard. Everything is passed in the classroom and all I have left to do is the orientation, which is done after my road test. In cab tuition is not the best. Instructor is an experienced driver and is able to teach the gears well. I struggle however with all the grey arrears in the instruction he gives; its not cut and dry. He's not like a driving instructor in England is what I am trying to say, But hey this is Canada maaaan.

He recons the norm is around 15 to 20 hours of tuition, but I'm hoping I won't need that much.

I'll keep you posted.....

2 comments:

  1. I had a guy called Wheldon, and I was very pleased with the training, but EVERYONE I spoke to who had a guy called Bruce, said he grabbed the wheel as they drove!
    You seem to be doing ok mate.
    Drive safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Mick. The boys are all complaining about Bruce. I had 1 on 1 with Don today and he was really good, so I'm much happier. I didn't like 2 students in the truck. Hope life is treating you well...

    ReplyDelete