Tuesday 26 October 2010

Bull Hauler for real....

Today I came back from Toppenish in Washington at a rate of knots. There was an auction on in Fort Macleod and there were some animals that needed moving there from BC. By all accounts I now work in the cattle business, not the trucking business; so it was a drive through the night job (if you know what I mean). I arrived at the ranch in the pitch black and pouring rain, where the only source of light was from the farmers truck lights and my trailer lights. I was told to pick up 7 yearlings, 17 cows and 1 BULL.
The biggest steer I have picked up has been in the region of 1600 pound which I thought was absolutely massive. This bull was around 2200 pound and only just fit through the door as it took its massive bulk up the ramp. I followed it up a tentatively and just skulked around in the corner of the trailer as he made his own way to the nose of the trailer. I got behind my gate and although I had it in my hand, kept my prod at bay. I pleaded with him to go down the front, which he obliged me with. This was good as I didn't upset him, he didn't turn on me and I got out alive. I got a bit of advise off the farmer as I followed him up, which was; don't prod him, don't piss him off and he won't make mince meat of you.
I suppose now I can say I am a paid up member of the bull hauler fraternity....

2 comments:

  1. good job bet you wernt in the twenty truck line up at brooks monday third trip down there this week stinking place lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. no only south for me this week.... glad i wasn't there...

    ReplyDelete