Saturday 22 May 2010

Working the system.

I think there is definitely a trick with H&R and you have to learn to work the system to suit yourself. Sometimes you have to be very underhand in your attempts to get home and get the miles in.. I would always arrive in Calgary with a load, after my dispatcher had gone home, and offer to bring a trailer down to Lethbridge for another lad so he would not have to come up, regardless of whether I had the hours to do it or not. That way there was never the opportunity for them to reset me in Calgary. If I brought a load that passed through Lethbridge to go to Calgary I would OFFER to drop it in the yard, have a quick 36 and go south for them again.. 99% of the time they would tell me to drop the trailer and be ready to go as soon as the hours were spent. The one thing I was never able to get on top of was the waiting at the meat plants for a trailer and when you don't have any other options, I don't think you ever will. If you have a family and you want to be home at the weekends, this is possible but you won't earn any money.. All the best work leaves on a Thursday/Friday for Monday delivery. If you start doing these runs you can normal get there and back in a week and earn the money. The trouble is then trying to get back on the road again with a job that allows you to keep this up consistently. You might leave on a Saturday the next week and before you know it the weeks are rolling and you have lost a weeks money..I don't think the Canadians are so bothered with constantly trying to get home. They seem to work for a bit and then have some time off. I was always trying to get a pattern in my work and this might be the European in me, struggling with the Canadian way.
I am moving to another company on a TWP to haul Cattle mainly down into Washington. This was my original plan many moons ago and the paperwork has finally come. I will update more but I have to get my trailer now..

2 comments:

  1. Im sorry to hear you are leaving and hope things go good for you in your new job mate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Chris.. Don't hesitate to get in touch if you need any advice; if I can help I will. All the best..

    ReplyDelete